The Alaska Democratic Party seeks a Communications Director. Position is full time, based in Anchorage with a target start date of October 1, 2017.
- Create and execute strategies to obtain earned media; develop and cultivate strong relationships with journalists of diverse backgrounds; serve as party spokesperson; draft and issue press releases, speeches and other materials; organize press conferences and events; develop expansive, inclusive surrogate networks; organize rapid response to breaking developments;
- Create content for and manage Alaska Democrats’ social media (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube) and blast email;
- Develop and implement paid media campaigns;
- Coordinate with Democratic elected officials and candidates on the party’s media outreach, including on legislative and campaign issues;
- Engage with Alaska Democratic Party volunteers from diverse communities, allied groups, and surrogates to place media and to build volunteer capacity to promote the progressive agenda. This includes assistance with State Central Committee meetings, State Conventions, State Caucuses, regional trainings, and one-on-one training assistance for candidates and campaign staff;
- Demonstrate good judgment in all communications, including awareness of various ethnic and gender populations’ sensitivities and needs.
- Relevant experience, preferably as a communications director for a statewide campaign or organization, or as a member of the news media,
- Ability to work with diverse communities,
- Strong written and oral communication skills,
- Ability to work quickly and cooperatively under pressure,
- Knowledge and understanding of Alaska politics,
- Graphic skills a plus.
Salary/benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Position includes health insurance and paid vacation.
Termination: Either party may terminate the employment agreement at any time for any reason.
Reporting: Position reports to the Executive Director and Party Chair.
To apply for this position, submit resume, salary requirements, a minimum of three professional references and three writing samples to Jay Parmley, Executive Director, at email@example.com. Email subject line: Communications Director application. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Review of applications will begin August 28, 2017.