The Communications Director of the Alaska Chamber is responsible for a wide range of duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Develops and manages the Chamber’s communications plan both internally and externally using various forms of communication methods.
- Prepares talking points, presentations and statements for the President and CEO.
- Responsible for the overall marketing and public relations of the Chamber.
- Manage and expand the Chamber’s presence on appropriate social media channels.
- Directly responsible for writing, editing, and distributing monthly e-newsletter to membership.
- Serves as the website manager.
- Prepares and distributes news releases, media alerts and other announcements to gain positive media attention for the Chamber, chamber programs and the community.
- Development of collateral materials such as membership and event materials.
- Provides proofreading support and input regarding written materials prepared by other Chamber staff members.
- Writes weekly Capitol Notes during session and provide written updates to the legislative affairs committee on a regular basis throughout session and on an as-needed basis outside of session.
- Works with Chamber staff to develop new board member training documents.
- Assist the President/CEO on legislative matters.
- Monitor and analyze relevant legislative activity as it pertains to the Chamber.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategy for advancing the Chamber’s policy goals.
- Draft correspondence related to legislation, regulations, and actions taken by the federal and state government.
- Testify in committee hearings representing the position of the Alaska Chamber when necessary.
- Lead in developing communication strategies in relation to advocacy issues.
- Provide administrative support for the legislative affairs committees including taking minutes, preparing and sending meeting materials as assigned.
- Assist the Alaska Chamber team when preparing and sending meeting materials for the executive committee and board.
- Serve as the staff liaison and point of contact for the legislative affairs committee.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Three years’ experience in communications (may be inclusive of a communications or similar degree).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and WordPress.
- Experience and working knowledge in Canva or other graphic design software.
- Experience managing various social media channels.
- Proven strong writing and oratory skills appropriate for advocacy and all communications.
- Preferred legislative experience at the state or federal level.
- Excellent organization skills with minimal day-to-day oversight.
- Ability to express ideas confidently, clearly and concisely while speaking publicly.
- Able to provide motivation, support and direction to staff and volunteers.
- Creative problem-solving ability is essential.
- Must be able to travel to attend meetings and Alaska Chamber functions as required.
- Ability to perform tasks diligently with minimal guidance or supervision.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Please submit two writing samples, one graphic design and/or social media content example, and three professional references.
Application window will remain open until the position is filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $75,000.00 – $90,000.00 per year
To view the full job description and apply, head HERE.