At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
The Strategic Communications Business Class Leader will lead our Alaska outreach practice through external client development, staff management and mentoring, and project delivery excellence. This successful candidate in this position will lead our stakeholder outreach efforts within multiple market sectors, oversee all aspects of client management, and is involved with marketing, strategic planning, contracting, and project management and development activities. This position is responsible for working with client and project managers to develop and manage outreach strategies and plans; overseeing the coordination, organization, management and facilitation of public meetings, open-houses, and other stakeholder meetings; and coordinating project related data gathering. This position also coordinates production/planning teams; leads concept development writing and editing; provides vision for development of outreach materials such as surveys, newsletters, websites, handouts, advertisements, and press releases; and provides media coordination for advertisements including public notices and press releases. The successful candidate will also have experience working with Alaska’s rural and native communities and cultures and be willing and able to travel.
- Client management
- Client development by identifying target clients, actively market and develop new clients in coordination with Client Development Leads/Marketing Managers, Project Managers and Market Sector Leads
- Development and management of strategic communications programs for new and existing clients
- Project management skills including development and management of scopes, schedules and budgets including staffing plans and workflow management
- Manage communications teams including multi-media designers, event planners, data managers and social media specialists
- Management of client deliverables
- Documentation of outreach activities and success metrics
- Media strategy and management
- Lead development and management of outreach strategy (political, business, residential, minority, etc.)
- Mentor and develop communications staff
- Manage sub consultants
- Quality Control/Quality Assurance for other projects
- Pilot new outreach technologies and approaches
- Manage and give direction in stakeholder coordination and conflict resolution
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 8-10 years of related experience is preferred.
- Prior staff management experience preferred.
- Experience leading teams in a fast paced environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Experience with Media profession desired.
- Service and client-oriented personality with the ability to handle multiple assignments at a time and set and meet deadlines.
- In depth knowledge of local, state and federal requirements for public involvement.
- Strong industry presence through leadership roles, presentations or published papers
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.