Join the PRSA Alaska Chapter in Anchorage and Fairbanks this June to learn how to simplify speechwriting and create bullet proof presentations. In a series of back-to-back learning opportunities, Vincent Rhodes, PhD, APR will share tips and tricks from his expansive knowledge and experiences in communications. Pick and choose to attend just the luncheon, just the extended session or both. See ticket details for a price break of the combo package deal.
You’ve been asked to write a speech. Now what? The first thing to remember is not to panic. Remember a few key tips and you can make the job much easier – and write a speech that really connects with your listeners.
Attendees will learn:
- What questions to ask before you ever put words on the page;
- What makes crafting the spoken word different than the written word;
- How to grab your audience’s attention (and keep it);
- How a tried-and-true speaking structure can make your life easier; and
- How to put your speaker more at ease with the script and the speech.
Workshop: Bullet proof: Building presentations with powerful visuals
Sponsored by: Sunshine Promotions
A presentation doesn’t have to mean “death by PowerPoint.” In fact, you can achieve remarkable results with PowerPoint and other presentation platforms such as Prezi. Vincent Rhodes, PhD, APR will lead you out of your comfort zone and toward more powerful visuals. Bring a laptop and test out tips and strategies.
The workshop includes a design boot camp, an exploration of relevant presentation theories, a tour of advanced PowerPoint features that will change the way you assemble your visuals, and an introduction to leaving the “slide deck” mentality behind using Prezi.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Ensure your presentation serves your speaker (not the other way around);
- Craft bullet proof presentations that ensure your speaker won’t just read from his or her slides;
- Capitalize on basic and advanced features of PowerPoint and Prezi to move beyond the single-page, slide deck presentation style;
- Develop strong visual metaphors and select compelling images;
- Find valuable resources for imagery and presentation design;
- Kick stock presentation templates to the curb;
- Employ key design principles to grab (and keep) audience attention; and
- Ground your presentation in rhetorical and cognitive theory.
Date: June 28, 2016
Times: Luncheon is from noon-1 p.m. (doors open at 11:30 a.m.), workshop is from 1 p.m.-5 p.m.
Where: Crowne Plaza Hotel, 109 W International Airport Rd
Tickets: CLICK HERE
Date: June 29, 2016
Times: Workshop is from 8 a.m.-noon, luncheon is from noon- 1 p.m.
Where: Westmark Hotel and Conference Center – 813 Noble Street, Fairbanks, AK 99701
Tickets: CLICK HERE
In advance: Members: $30 // Nonmembers: $40 // Students: $10
At door: Members: $34 // Nonmembers: $44 // Students: $10
Half-day workshop only
Tickets may only be purchased in advance: Members: $90 // Nonmembers: $100 // Students: $30
Package Deal (luncheon + half-day workshop)
Tickets may only be purchased in advance: Members: $100 (savings of $20) // Nonmembers: $125 (savings of $15) // Students: $35 (savings of $5)
Tickets close at noon on June 22 for Anchorage and June 23 for Fairbanks.
Vincent Rhodes, PhD, APR serves as Chief Communications & Marketing Officer for Eastern Virginia Medical School. He oversees public and media relations, content marketing, crisis communications, executive communications, creative services and digital media. He has served as a PRSA Hampton Roads board member since 2013.
He has a long and successful history in communications, marketing, graphic design and freelance writing. His work has been recognized with a variety of awards from PR News, Vital Speeches of the Day, the Association of American Medical Colleges, PRSA Hampton Roads, the National School Public Relations Association, the Florida Magazine Association and others. He and his team are finalists for a 2016 PRSA Silver Anvil Award.